Friday 4 May 2012

Washi Tape Bonanza!!

Well finally I got my paws on some Washi tape! What is washi tape you ask? Apart from amazing, fun, quirky and hard-to-find-in-shops, it is just hyper coloured masking tape.
Made in Japan it has long been favoured in Japan for its ability to transcend gift wrapping, turning the humble act of wrapping up a gift into artistic expression.
The tape is so easy to use and can be repositioned on most papers and certainly on most surfaces.
If you google Washi tape you will find more than a million uses including sticking photos and posters to the wall (because the adhesive is super gentle and easily repositioned!).
It's easy enough to get online, howevr I like to touch and inspect the true colours of things before purchasing them so if you want to get them in store you'll need to go to somewhere like Paperpoint, Church St Richmond (just near the Alexandra Rd bridge) or Readings in Hawthorn (there are only a half dozen or so stationers that stock the m.t. brand of tape which is the main one.
I'm in love and if you love gift wrapping as much as I do you too will love washi tape.
I made myself a little washi tape dispenser out of an old wooden spoon and block of wood, and have inclded an example of my washi tape wrapping!
Go washi!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment