Saturday 28 April 2012

Even Prince's Like To Upcycle!

My darling boy Lenny loves to play and muck around and is impartial to some fancy headwear.

Adding to this is the fact that in the morning when I sometimes bring him for some quiet time in our bed (long after Daddy has left for work) I will pretend I am asleep and he will kiss me on the lips to wake me up. The first time he did it I was actually semi-sleeping haha, which made it even more gorgeous! He is only 16 months so I am unsure where he learnt that trick!

Whilst at Resource Rescue the other day I saw this pleather off-cut that looked like the ideal crown!
I have a growing collection of old buttons  - never throw away the ones that come with clothes and I inherited many from my Nan.

The spiky pleather didn't quite make it around my child's head (we are convinced that's because we passed down their 'big brain' genes) so I glued (super glued) some ric-rac to the bac so I could tie it. And that also means it will fit many a head!




I grabbed some ric-rac and my hot glue gun from my craft cupboard and set about arranging the buttons.











I sewed the buttons tightly to the ric-rac (wavy ribbon for the uninitiated) and hot glued the ric-rac to the pleather so that in the event the hot glue fails, the buttons won't end up as a choking hazard.





Now, seeing as I was one or two hands short I used a nearby vase to sit the crown on while I used my own two hands to glue.
















I added a gorgeously regal red bow to each end of the ric-rac and voila! A princely crown!



Lenny is so sick of me making him pose as you can tell from his haggard expression.

See what you can achieve with scrap and imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment