Tuesday 17 April 2012

Market Stall success

So I had my first market stall over the weekend and I am really happy with the response I received from customers. I sold items to 17 different customers, an even spread of my wares from the vintage cards to the garlands and toppers, and made a whopping $0! I have a long way to go before I start making money honey but the custom is there! So now that it was a success I will be booking markets for the next few months. I am sticking with one a month until I can be sure that I have enough time to replenish stock and sell enough to cover the cost of hiring a stall. I loved the company and atmosphere at the Sisters' Market but it was one of the more expensive ones going at an average of $80-$130 a stall... Hard to sell enough to cover costs!
I was positioned between the lovely Hannah and Matt from Beth Bernard Childrens Wear and Ladedah Kids crocheted chidrens toys. Both have been in the market biz for a while and were great company on the day!
I also must thank my sister-in-law Yolanda and her boyf Tim for babysitting Lennon at short notice and with the greatest of ease - considering they'd never babysat a child ever, in the history of ever! - and my friend Tash for coming and showing great enthusiasm for my range and dropping 20 big ones! She stays on my Christmas Card list another year that's for sure!
Anyway, onwards and upwards for Upcycled Greetings.

For my diehard followers I have included some further musings on my range below - could get boring so if you aren't interested see ya later for now!

The main thing I was keen to sell were my paper garlands and the present toppers made from pages of a 1994 melways.
The Little Golden Book paper garlands are paper circles in two sizes sewn together with two colours of cotton (yellow feed, turquoise bobbin) and they are all various lengths. I take care to cut the most interesting and colourful images and make sure that the two circles (a smaller circle upon a larger circle) are a good contrast. The effect of the garlands once strung up (en mass if you buy enough) is whimsical, intriguing and fun. I aim to expand this range as it garnered a lot of interested, however, customers had trouble envisioning the way they looked as i had no way to string them up. For my next stall i will have a way of stringing them up - saw a stall selling teatowel that were strung up between two wooden thingys... will need to get my husband onto it i think.
The present toppers were also a hit, however, there was one that fell apart in front of a customer. i remember using a different adhesive on one and will assume it was the one that fell apart and not use that adhesive again.

ummm and the vintage cards were great... especially the old ones sourced from etsy so i will grab some more of those. bought in large batches for around $20-30 and sold for $4 each not a bad earner!
anywho will keep pluggin away and try to keep you all posted!





No comments:

Post a Comment