Monday 27 February 2012

Bunga Haven

We made the long haul to Bunga Haven, just outside Lakes Entrance over the weekend. It is wonderfully serene and the beauty is breathtaking. It is hard to capture in photographs just how amazing the view is, or how it affects you while you are there.
Bunga Haven is where Pete's mum's ashes were spread and trees planted in her memory, so to mark the 10th anniversary of her passing we met Pete's sister and a couple of his mum's old friends down there for the weekend. It was fantastic to just sit around and eat good food with great company against the stunning scenery.
Lake Bunga Beach was blisteringly hot but sublime to take a dip in - I bravely swam a few metres out to tread water with Yol and her boyfriend Tim but panicked and swam back in.
I have a love affair with the ocean and all it has to offer, but I have no confidence in swimming in the ocean. paddling in a tropical beach I can do. The un-manned, washing machine of Victoria's southern coast I cannot.
I made it out there but so was so out of breath and my heart was racing that I thought I was probably just a Shark magnet and should swim back in. My secondary fear of being dunked by the waves set in as I tried to swim back to shore against the current.
Of course there was no immediate danger. Yol and Tim were having a joyous paddle, but I was freaking out. Not enjoyable. Refreshing, maybe. But I guess that should go on my list: Swim, joyously in ocean water.
Lenny absolutely loved roaming the lawn, playing in the sand and riding on Pete's back during our walks!
We had a go at flying the kite I bought Pete for Christmas which was so frustrating to begin with, then totally fun!
I held a fishing rod, merely as a photo opportunity, but never really gave fishing a shot. We purchased prawns from the dock (even if they were from South Australia and frozen, because apparently that's all they had :(...) doused them in garlic and ginger and chucked 'em on the barbie.
We saw a couple of White-bellied Sea Eagles which was cool, and a giant Goat Moth during dinner which was absolutely NOT cool.
There was a divine Devonshire Tea on Sunday with Yol's scones, Sue's homemade raspberry jam and the best whipped cream ever (hot tip: use full fat double cream for a firm whip!).
And Pete, Lenny and I enjoyed ice-cream cones in town.
Listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore and sharing the sunrise with Pete and Lennon was simply wonderful and heartwarming to say the least.
We love you Bunga Haven and cannot wait to return.


 I had a dark chocolate and raspberry icecream... delicious!


 Lenny doesn't seem terribly enthused by the kite flying.
 Dockside.
 Lakeside.
Beachside. It's all beautiful!




 A sunsmart Lennon covered head to toe in lycra!
Attempting to fish...not.

 Sunrise.


No comments:

Post a Comment