Sunday 29 January 2012

blog? oh yeah that!

The long break between blogs was due in part to a long weekend spent with husband and child and in part to paranoia. Eventually one begins to wonder whether blog posts are actually interesting or not. I mean, is it just the modern day diarising of one's life made public or is it an innate need to be watched. What's the opposite to voyeurism? Exhibitionism? Is a blog just exhibitionism? Hmmm dunno. Will save those in depth conversations for when I have coffee with my old boss Nick I think. He'll know.

SO my resolution to 'read more books' is going well! I read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson, as a starter last week then devoured - an appropriate word for the rate and voracity with which I flipped the pages - Dirt Music, by Tim Winton, in three days. That was definitely a record by me. I was guarded at first as although Dirt Music won a lot of awards and was praised by every reviewer every which way, I was still not convinced a few pages in. I ate my words. I want to be back in the middle of that book. It was a great story and although parts of it left me a wee bit befuddled - dream sequences and such - it really satisfied me. Ended abruptly though. I hate that.
And then it was my birthday yesterday so Pete bought me Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, by John le Carre, and a Patricia Cornwell book. I have an incredibly short attention span so reading has always been difficult for me. But, this being the big year and all, I am committing to reading books and I am proud to have read two books. Yay me.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was also a good story but probably helped by me being able to visualise the cinematic interpretation that I have seen on TV recently.
Tinkey Tailor is up next... it hasn't started out very entertaining. Plus it is actually part of a larger series of books featuring a central character so I am unsure whether I will get the full effect. Will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment