Sunday 22 January 2012

Everybody has baggage...but not as cool as this!

I found two old suitcases under our house today. I had forgotten all about them, but they belonged to my parents. One of them, a cream one, belonged to my mum. She used it during the late 60s and early 70s when she first moved to Melbourne. It was fairly beaten up and dirty but it has great sentimental value. The other is moss green and in far better condition used in the 70s when my parents were married.
Pete, Lennon and I are travelling to New Zealand soon to celebrate a friend's wedding and I thought: 'you know what, I'm taking suitcases, just like the old days'.
So the green one came up a treat but the cream one required a little more creativity to bring it back to life.
I started by giving it a good once over, then I lined it with some sweet-smelling drawer liners to give it less of an old smell, then I lined it with some vintage fabric I have had, well Mum has had, for ages and ages. Then to give it a little girly edge I made an underwear/sock compartment out of some old lace and some velcro sticky dots. And I think that it looks great and I am super excited to roll into Melbourne Airport with our vintage suitcases. I absolutely love the airport. I love the romance of the place. I have dropped off and picked up many a person and I always offer. People say 'oh no no no I'll get a taxi' because they think it is a hassle, and for most people it is, but not me! I love it. I'd am more than happy to pick people up day or night, which is even easier now that I am home with Lenny. He also loves the airport... I think. He certainly loved it the time we took a sign to let Zoe know we were there.
See the photos below of the suitcases.
Up Up And Awaaaaaaaayy!

4 comments:

  1. corrie, you'll be happy to know I measured AND weighed them both to make sure that I'll be let through without incurring any baggage charges. i'm looking forward to seeing the looks on the check in staff's faces hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good...only problem with suitcases is they don't come with wheels like them new fangled trolley bags - I suggest you ask to be dropped off at arrivals b/c there are plenty of trolleys there near the taxi rank (then take the lift to departures)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good idea yol! will be heading straight for the trolleys!

    ReplyDelete